Love- Not Just Another 'L Word'

Throwing around Love is an all too common happening. Whether you are talking about how much you 'love' a certain food or you 'love' someone you barely know. We are all guilty of it.
If you are in love with a food it's probably an addiction. If you are in love with every single friend you have made then you probably aren't showing the most important people your utmost appreciation. While there are certain amounts of feelings for people that can be important to you, you probably don't actually love them. When you say 'I love you,' you are making a promise with someone else's heart. Try to honor it.


 


Love is an extremely powerful word to use. I know that I am guilty of expressing how much I 'love' sushi and bread {not necessary in the same meal, holy carbs!}, but I can probably survive without them. Something else will come around to fill in the void I would be left with if those two things were to somehow leave the face of the earth.

What I am not guilty of {and something I tend to find as a character flaw in a lot of people} is telling people that I do not feel a strong sense of love for that I love them. I can probably count on two hands the people that I actually say those three words to. My thought process on this is to mean exactly what I say. To tell someone that you love them and not actually mean it can cause serious damage. When someone believes that they are loved the 'lovee' expects certain things from the 'lover.' They expect you to show up when needed or even just requested. They expect respect and appreciation. They expect more than just what any other average friend or family member would give. My understanding could be due to my having a large sense of what it is like to love people unconditionally and then have them taken away from me. To know what that large emptiness feels like and know that nothing can replace it makes you appreciate the people that can fill the other parts of your heart with so much happiness. Those few people that I can count on can certainly count on me. I can't imagine the weight I would be carrying around if I felt like I had to maintain all of those insincerely loving relationships. I would not have time for the people that truly love and care about me. After all, isn't it easier to carry around 4 quarters than 100 pennies?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog