Pittsburgh Girl to Dallas Girl?

During my morning Facebook session the other day, I came across this article from D Magazine titled, Yes, I Am a Dallas Girl by Sarah Hepola, that was posted by a local news personality that I follow on Facebook, Lauren Przybyl.
In Hepola's article, she makes reference to that girl that we all see around town. She's the girl with the big blonde hair that is wearing and enhanced with the oversized "everythings." It isn't just about the blonde girls anymore though. Hepola adds that Dallas has become somewhat of a melting pot of these stereotypical "Dallas girls" and molds the description to be "pretty and impractical." She touches on the notion of adaptability. The ability to conform and adapt to one's surroundings whether for survival or acceptance.   My favorite part of her article states:
I can spin this metaphor two ways. One is a basic refusal to accept the landscape. Another is a heroic effort to create splendor where there was none. And I think both are key to understanding Dallas women. There is a willfulness to our appearance, an enterprising spirit that feels uniquely Texan. You may not have been born beautiful, but, baby, you will get there somehow.
Toward the end of the article she admits to the inspiration of her article. Her initial idea came from her own envy and fear. Hepola would need to stop judging from the corner and get to know her muse. She discovered that dispite their differences of opinions and taste, most people, are just nice people.
She closes her article by acknowledging her pride in her hometown and that where we grow up helps to shape us into the people that we become.

Hepola's article got me thinking about my hometown.



I was raised to be a Pittsburgh girl, through and through. I can instruct you on how a cookie table should be set up at a wedding. I can tell you the precise history of Myron Cope's Terrible Towel. I am aware that not only are pierogis delicious, but they are also VERY athletic. And although you will never hear me use the word 'yin'z,' I tend to use several Pittsburghese terms that always meet me with a "huh?"



Being a Texas transplant I have learned about The Alamo and why we should remember it. I'm learning to appreciate the Dallas Mavericks (it's only fair seeing as Pittsburgh doesn't have a basketball team). You will probably never hear me say 'y'all,' but I may slip a 'bless your heart' out every now and then.

 

I'm not sure if I will ever completely transition from being a Pittsburgh girl to a Dallas girl, but I know a few things for sure:
I will always refer to some carbonated bevereages as 'pop.'
One of my favorite phrases will continue to be, 'this isn't my first rodeo.'
I take it as a compliment when someone refers to me as a 'Dallas Blonde.'
Blizzards and ice storms will probably never raise a sense of fear in my mind.
I will always bleed black and gold.

Not only am I proud of where I came from, but I've learned to be proud of where I am. I will always be a girl from The 'Burgh, but I'm finding my way to be a woman in The Big D!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog